QLD Purchased in My Name with Fiance's Money - Forced to Sell House?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Titanium

11 February 2015
I have been in a relationship for the past 2.5 years and engaged for 2ys and 2 months. My fiancé is wealthy.

Approx after a year of meeting, my fiancé told me to find my dream home and he would buy it. The house was purchased solely in my name and paid for with his cash and we had planned on living there for 12 years then move. He also undertook extensive renovations and paid for all of it. My home I had prior to meeting him has a huge mortgage, but is tenanted.

The relationship as all can be has been a rollercoaster. I stood by him while he went to jail. I worked full time as well as being a mum and had to maintain my rental, my house and his house whilst supporting him for the 4 months he was in jail (with his funds).

5 months ago the police became involved and they have slapped a DVO (domestic violence) on him and DOCS (Human Services) became involved in our life which meant whenever I had my son I had to stay in Hotels (approx. 3 months) until it was resolved. My fiancé was fighting to get the DVO dropped and last Monday the court have upheld it. As a result he wants to move back North and is telling me I have to sell the house that was purchased in my name with his money.

Do I have to sell it? Can I be forced to sell it? He continually told me and my friends that he bought me a house and built me a pool. He also told many people that 'you usually buy the house when you break up but I'm buying it first so I can live in it and enjoy it'

Amanda E

9 April 2014