Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Mortgage - Can Partner Sell House without My Consent?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by SamMak, 19 September 2015.

Tags:
  1. SamMak

SamMak Member

My partner owns a house in his name but the mortgage has my name as well. Basically, used the home to get finance for the new home purchase. I have learnt from our broker that he has sold the property.

Would appreciate if someone could help me with my query:
    a.) Can he sell the property without my consent, especially if my name is on the mortgage?
    b.) How to safeguard my interest, if property has been sold since it forms a substantial chunk of the joint pool?

2. SamMak

SamMak Member

Help, anyone?

3. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

You can and should file a caveat on the property which will prevent any legal dealings with it until the caveat is lifted under property settlement.

Contact Legal Aid - they provide free legal consultations for property settlements and can give you guidance on getting a caveat in place.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...