QLD Public Trustee mishandling of estate after death.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

babysam1984

4 August 2023
My wife is the sole beneficiary of an estate handled by the Public Trustee Qld. The death happened on 24 December 2020 and the Public Trustee has been painfully slow in their handling of the estate. There is only a compensation payment she received before her death, as apart from that she had nothing of value. We had expected nothing although she had lived with us for over 20 years prior to her death. The compensation amount was a surprise as it was quite substantial.

There has been a claim against her estate by her disabled son which we have not disputed and are willing to agree to. The son is unable to speak or make his wishes known in any way and he would have no understanding of any of it. He is presently well provided for through a disability pension and NDIS. No amount of money would make a difference to his life as he is at present. The claim is being made by The Public Trustee in his name. The estate is also being handled by the Public Trustee.

I have complained through their official channels and received glib promises, but still there was no real handling of the issue. I have complained a second time, admittedly with some anger and have been offered the option of speaking with their higher representatives. However, I still have a feeling of being placated, as I did make some snide reference to taking the issue to the ombudsman or the media. I am not really that brave and suffer from ill health, but I can't help but feel that it is all not right and that I should be doing something.

The amount of the estate would have been just enough to buy a property to secure the stability of our future as we are both pensioners and currently rent. However due to the amount the time that has passed the property price market has increased exponentially. It is now past the limit that we would be able to afford once any payment is received. To that effect, it is as though we have been robbed of a substantial amount of money. We are also aware that the Public Trustee in the meanwhile would have used the funds to invest and probably earned a substantial amount just from sitting on the inheritance.

My question is really about whether it is too late or too costly to take the matter to a private lawyer. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.