Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peter Maddin

8 July 2014
My father died recently and has been buried. I am still waiting for the death certificate, which should arrive soon. His only income was his age pension and I have notified Centrelink of his death.

He had severe dementia and I was his appointed plenary administrator which has now ceased on his death.
His only remaining asset is a bank account with around $20,000. I am a joint owner of that with my deceased father (which was allowed by the public trustees).

I suspect that I wont have any problem gaining access to the money in the account but would like to do everything above board. However I don't want to waste what little is in the account in pursing matters of little benefit and would rather disburse it in accordance with WA ADMINISTRATION ACT 1903 - SECT 14 Entitlements on intestacy 2b, that is distribute the net value of his estate equally among his surviving issue (4 children of whom I am one).

My siblings have been happy with my administration of my fathers affairs to date.

The question is do I need apply to for a letter of administration which will cost me and for which I would hope to get reimbursed from the estate (I have already paid for some final medical expenses)? This would diminish what little there is in the account for distribution to me and my siblings.

Peter Maddin

8 July 2014
There has been no advice forthcoming. I think that as my father dies intestate there is no obligation on myself to do anything so I will decline to do anything. I will leave his minuscule assets to the government to sort out. Otherwise I am liable to debts I am not prepared to cover.