QLD Deceased Estate - Bank Account Closed Before Death Certificate is Issued?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Markus Barnett

17 February 2015
Hi. My partner is a 1/3 beneficiary of a deceased estate in Brisbane QLD. Public trustee QLD are the executor of the estate.

My partner's sister has acted on her own accord to close bank accounts relating to the deceased estate with the consent of the executors & has also started paying some debts relating to the estate for which we believe to be the job of public trustee QLD. I also add that no death certificate has been issued as yet.

Are the public trustee of QLD & my partner's sister acting over and above the legal system with regard to this matter?

I also would like to add that the Public trustee still haven't appointed a case manager as yet. I would also like to add that we both have been given 6 weeks to move out of the house. My partner was informed of this by the interim person at public trustee QLD when she gave them all of the cash and bills from the deceased person yesterday.

What are our legal rights with regard to this matter?

Michael T

9 April 2014