Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Property Settlement - Ex Refuses to Pay Me Out?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by EmilyR, 10 March 2016.

  1. EmilyR

    EmilyR Member

    10 March 2016
    Likes Received:
    My ex-husband and I were together for 10 years in total and married for 3. During our relationship, I always paid for rent and shopping and he paid for major bills and any new furniture. When we had our first child, I was able to become a stay at home mom and he took over all bills. I was to be at home until whatever kids we had (as we wanted more when this decision was made) until they went to school.

    He had an affair and it was decided for me to move interstate to my parents with our then 2-year-old and me a few months pregnant. He was well aware and more than happy that it was highly unlikely that I would move back to QLD.

    I have recently asked him what he thought was a fair figure for him to pay me for our assets in property settlement. I left with the family car, my clothes, a few baby clothes and toys and my person effects of books and DVD, etc. We had maybe a combined asset pool of about $100,000.00.

    Upon moving here, he refused to give me money to buy a new bed and cot for our son. He refused to contribute to the stuff needed for the newborn or clothes for our son just flat out wouldn't pay a cent. I had to get a credit card and use our existing credit card to fund all these things needed. He also refused to pay for the credit card that was in my name and spent jointly in our time together.

    Moving on, he refuses to pay me out in our property settlement, saying that he paid for it with his money and it's tough luck that I was paying for rent etc and didn't have money to put towards furniture, cars, bikes etc and he's not paying me out. I should be lucky he gave me the family car which is worth about $10k.

    So I can bet my life that he will transfer the 3 cars into his parents' name and say he sold everything else worth of value. He can obviously do that, but will it all still get looked at if we go to family court? What's more frustrating is I don't even want half. All I want is $5k and I'd be happy.

    How do I get him to see that settling privately will be easier and for him and sooo much cheaper?
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    How do you get him to see that it's cheaper to settle? Start the formal process for a property settlement. Force him to get legal advice. Any decent lawyer will tell him that fighting over $5000 isn't worth the money it would cost to do so.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. teflongirl

    teflongirl Well-Known Member

    29 January 2016
    Likes Received:
    Go to Local Community Legal Centre or Family Relationships Centre (you can ring them on the phone ) - you deserve more, way more and you have the children so that needs to be acknowledged.

Share This Page