WA Property Settlement and Divorce - Consequences of Selling Family Home?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Takenforfool

10 March 2015
My husband and i have been separated for 2 years. He paid me out of our family home which he still lives in but is trying to now sell..i built myslef my own home with what he paid me out (though i still have a reasonabIe mortgage) I have been trying to get hime to proceed with divorce and property settlement but he won't do it untill he sells house. Will him selling the house affect the final outcome of property settlement when our divorce goes to court?

Ian Macleod

30 January 2015
Property settlement and divorce are two separate issues. Divorce is the dissolution of the marriage which can take place anytime after the parties have been separated for 12 months. Property settlement can take place at anytime after separation and within 12 months of divorce if you wish to have a court deal with it. You say that you have been trying to get him to proceed with divorce and property settlement but he won't do it until he sells house. If he has already given you money for settlement are you saying you still need to divide other financial resources? If so this can be done either through the court system or outside of the court system using a financial agreement.

Reactions: Takenforfool

Takenforfool

10 March 2015
Thanks Ian,

Yes we have other marital assetts that we need to settle..we did come up with a mutual agreement at the beginng which we are still sticking too...but i wanted to go through legal process to make sure that either one of us can not come back at a later date and take more...but when we put everything on paper he thinks it looks like he got more and he thinks he will have to pay me some more, (which is not what i want - i just want to protect what i have set myself up with) so now wants to sell house before proceeding...will this make it look like i have more now?? or will he still have to declair that he had the family home and sold it??

Ian Macleod

30 January 2015
Thanks Ian,

Yes we have other marital assets that we need to settle..we did come up with a mutual agreement at the beginng which we are still sticking too...but i wanted to go through legal process to make sure that either one of us can not come back at a later date and take more...but when we put everything on paper he thinks it looks like he got more and he thinks he will have to pay me some more, (which is not what i want - i just want to protect what i have set myself up with) so now wants to sell house before proceeding...will this make it look like i have more now?? or will he still have to declare that he had the family home and sold it??

If you are both happy with your arrangement and in genuine agreement you don't need to go through the court system. You can make a financial agreement under sect 90C of the Family law Act . You still need to get legal advice before you agreement becomes binding but you have the freedom to choose how you wish to divide your asset and liabilities without the courts intervention. This means you are in control. You can make your agreement and stipulate that the house will be sold within a specified time or it would go to auction, which is probably preferable.

In any event, whether the property is sold before or after settlement, each party needs to make full and frank financial disclosure whether it be to the court or to each another in a financial agreement. All the other issue such as superannuation, cars, share and all other financial resources can be included in the agreement so you effectively draw a line in the sand.

Ian Macleod

30 January 2015