QLD Family Law on Selling Assets Before Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cockatoo

6 July 2016
Hi,

What is the family law regarding the selling assets before divorce and property settlement has been finalised?

e.g. Selling a boat that should have been included in our upcoming full disclosure of the property pool.

Thanks in advance

S

Sophea

Shouldn't the proceeds of the sale still be available to include in the asset pool ?

Cockatoo

6 July 2016
Shouldn't the proceeds of the sale still be available to include in the asset pool ?
Yes one would think so. He told me he sold it to pay for his divorce. So there aren't any proceeds left, it went to his solicitor to pay his legal fees.

S

Sophea

If he is telling the truth, there is not much you can do in that situation. Legal representation does cost. However, if you had reasonable grounds to think that he was intentionally disposing of assets and funds to avoid you getting a share of them, you can apply to the court for an injunction to stop him doing that. However, you would need solid evidence.

Cockatoo

6 July 2016
Oh, he will make this as ugly as he can. He expects me to pay half of his credit card and the personal loan that he acquired without my knowledge. This is a 25-year relationship, where he has been controlling and manipulative...

I guess all I can do is not agree with his demands during the mediation process... He wasted money on a Solicitor because I wouldn't go back to him. A divorce could have been done personally for no more than $900. He is purposely wasting money. That is a given.

He even stole 4000 out of our redraw facility, without my knowledge... Divorcing a Narcissist is pure evil driven and an awful experience...

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Truthfully, it's likely you will be somewhat responsible for the debts incurred by him and without your knowledge.

Regarding the boat, you can seek the proceeds be included as an add-back on the shared asset pool.