LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Property Settlement - Divorce?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by suemoff, 23 July 2014.

1. suemoff

suemoff Member

Starting the process of divorce after 16 years of marriage. When I met my husband I had my own house, with a mortgage of $65k. We sold the house for $350k over the years we bought and sold 2 houses together. We built a house together which I now live in with a mortgage of $350k. Was wondering what % he is entitled to ( property settlement) seeing my original house funded the majority of the funds for our houses.
    Hope this makes sense.

2. rebeccag

rebeccag Well-Known Member

G'day Sue,
    Nobody can tell you what percentage you're entitled to - you can either agree on a fair property settlement, or have the court decide (which would be out of your hands). A family lawyer would be able to advise you on possible figures.

Check out these LawAnswers Family Law Forum posts:
    There are a number of factors that are considered in a property settlement (see the Family Law Courts "Property and Money Matters" page and "Financial cases" page). You may wish to engage a family lawyer to assist you if you and your (ex) husband can't come to a fair agreement between you both.