NSW Property Law - Water Damage to the Unit Below - Pay Invoices?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jackie xie

28 July 2015
On Oct 2014, I had a water burst in my unit, which caused some water damage to the unit below. They gave me one invoice of carpet drying right after the accident, I payed that invoice immediately. Nearly a year later, now they suddenly give another two invoices of fixing the wall paintings and the cracks on their electronic board, saying they are all resulted from the water damage which happened a year ago.

The building has been more than 20 years old. I am not convinced that the damage they have described are all from the water leaks and even if they are, I believe the damage might have been enlarged because they did not fix it right after the accident. So my questions is, do I still have to pay those invoices under property law?

Thanks in advance.

Amanda E

9 April 2014
What 'evidence' do they have to prove the current damage was caused by your water leak? If there's nothing solid, I would be inclined to dispute the further invoices exactly on that basis - other factors likely contributed over time, rather than it being solely caused by the water damage from 1 year ago.