WA Property Law - Can Tenant Assume Liability for Owner?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cathy43

13 March 2016
Hi

I live in a unit owned by my father. Recently, the unit below me has been water damaged because I forgot to unplug a sink on several occasions, which caused flooding.

My father has nothing to do with the damage caused by the water, and he is also elderly and frail and is getting very anxious about letters he has received from lawyers with respect to the water damage issue.

Since I'm the responsible person, and much better equipped to deal with lawyers than my father, can I ask to be the liable person, to spare my Dad not only the cost but the worry? In other words, even if my Dad owns the unit, can he be left out of the dispute altogether under Property Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Only if you agree to their terms. You may not want to do this. Might be better for your father to give you power of attorney on this matter so you can deal with it on his behalf, including paying what is needed. BTW, doesn't your father have insurance to cover this scenario?