NSW Prenuptial agreements

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tony ali

2 February 2020
My wife made me sign a prenup ten years ago now she has left with no reason wat so ever she has over 30 million dollars
I just want to know if I am entitled to some of that money or if I can challenge the prenup she has two homes and she was staying with me rent free in a housing commission unit she took everything even my microwave is there anything I can do about this in court I’m really stressing out and I am depressed
I don’t know wat to do

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
.... If she has over 30 million dollars, why was she staying with you rent-free in a housing commission unit? That sounds very strange indeed.

I believe that pre-nups that try to restrict equitable split of joint assets in separations are not very watertight in terms of legality, but you would probably have to take her to court and spend a lot of money to get an official judgement if she isn't willing to negotiate something fair with you.

When you say you don't know what to do, what would you LIKE to do? Pursue her for the belongings of your flat? Or get half of her 30 million dollars?

tony ali

2 February 2020
I would like to get half of the 30 million because I am unemployed and on Centrelink I mean I am hurt by this and did not want it to get to this but she leaves me no choice

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Of course you would. But you didn't really answer the question... Why was she living with you in a housing commission flat if she had 30 million dollars?

tony ali

2 February 2020
Well the answer to ur question is that her parents never wanted me in the picture so I think she was afraid of me moving into her house because her parents always told her not to just in case I tried to get half her estate or take her to court in the event of a breakup..!!

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Judging by how you're thinking now, perhaps they had good reason. ;)

You're likely going to have to take her to court in an expensive and time consuming process because I doubt someone with 30 million dollars in assets hiding away somewhere is going to hand over half easily. You'll need to get proper legal advice, have your pre-nup analysed by someone with expertise in the area, and see what you can negotiate with her. Legal aid may be able to assist you or you may need to sign up with a private lawyer on the agreement that you will pay at the settlement (if they're willing to take that risk on).

tony ali

2 February 2020
I have spoken to lawyers that say I’m entitled to some money but also I will be in trouble with housing and Centrelink for not informing them which her mother told me not to because it will cause me a lot of trouble and the lawyer is happy to take the case on and get paid on settlement but told me I will be liable to pay housing and Centrelink money back which would be around 700k and also told me that I would end up with about 3.7 million but I am still worried should I be or do u think that I should take it on I’m just worried if it goes sour than I end up with nothing not even a roof over my head I mean it’s hard to come across housing these days I’m scared it will back fire some how because she has money to fight it and I don’t...

tony ali

2 February 2020
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Judging by how you're thinking now, perhaps they had good reason. ;)

You're likely going to have to take her to court in an expensive and time consuming process because I doubt someone with 30 million dollars in assets hiding away somewhere is going to hand over half easily. You'll need to get proper legal advice, have your pre-nup analysed by someone with expertise in the area, and see what you can negotiate with her. Legal aid may be able to assist you or you may need to sign up with a private lawyer on the agreement that you will pay at the settlement (if they're willing to take that risk on).
are u a lawyer how do u know so much about all this..??

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I think you'd also be up for fraud as far as Housing and Centrelink go. You don't just get to pay them back. You end up being charged and going to court.

tony ali

2 February 2020
Really are u some kind of lawyer how do u know that and besides it was her mother that told me not to wow r u serious so wat than do I just let it go