NSW Police officer injured at work - Do I have a claim?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

larrylarry

2 March 2018
Thanks for your info.

I have had a complete tear of the ACL. Could you please clarify what you mean by "continued restriction"?

I have spoken to 2 lawyers today. They both seemed to differ greatly in regards to how much they believe I could be compensated and to be honest I'm unsure which one to go with.
I don't think they are in the position to advise what you can be compensated for because it is dependent on the IME report. Lawyers are not trained like medico-legal doctors and lawyers cannot examine clients clinically.
It's the doctor's domain. As long as you are restricted from what you do and restriction is permanent, then you will be assessed on that. Pain is not assessable.

fullnatty

12 March 2018
I don't think they are in the position to advise what you can be compensated for because it is dependent on the IME report. Lawyers are not trained like medico-legal doctors and lawyers cannot examine clients clinically.
It's the doctor's domain. As long as you are restricted from what you do and restriction is permanent, then you will be assessed on that. Pain is not assessable.
Thank you.

jackaustin

16 July 2021
Here is the nuts and bolts of my situation:

- Suffered complete tear of my ACL while on duty in 2012.
- Had knee reconstruction surgery soon after followed by physio for 6 months, all paid for under worker's comp
- Returned to full duties 9 months after surgery.
- For past 6 months pain has increasingly returned to my previously injured knee, to the point where I am limping for up to a week at a time.
- Had not done anything to re-aggravate the injury. Pain is identical in feeling and location as it was during the initial tear and healing period post operation.
- Have not worked in full duties for the police force for 18 months (unrelated to injury) but am still employed as a full time member of the force.
- Can not return to unrestricted duties due to my ongoing pain and need of workplace injury lawyers brisbane. Can not undertake any other career involving physical duty for the same reason.

Can I seek compensation?
I have had an injury for a year from a work accident due to works unsafe work conditions. There was one witness but they are the relative of the boss so they won't be on my side.
I saw a lawyer and they said that it is better to drag out the case longer to that we can get a higher payment. I have hospital bills and expenses.
However, I'm not sure if this lawyer is right. Because my visa expires next year and she said we would go to court this july but nothing happened. She said I didn't need to organise anythng and she would organise all papers for court. Not sure if she even is doing that?
Well I returned to work, I am not sure I will be getting any pay for delaying this too long. What are my rights? I am still living with back injury.

larrylarry

2 March 2018
I have had an injury for a year from a work accident due to works unsafe work conditions. There was one witness but they are the relative of the boss so they won't be on my side.
I saw a lawyer and they said that it is better to drag out the case longer to that we can get a higher payment. I have hospital bills and expenses.
However, I'm not sure if this lawyer is right. Because my visa expires next year and she said we would go to court this july but nothing happened. She said I didn't need to organise anythng and she would organise all papers for court. Not sure if she even is doing that?
Well I returned to work, I am not sure I will be getting any pay for delaying this too long. What are my rights? I am still living with back injury.
Are you in NSW? You should seek a second opinion. Are your lawyers waiting for your injuries to stabilise for the purpose of assessing your impairment rating? Have you received lump sum compensation? Why are you going to court?