NSW Police officer injured at work - Do I have a claim?

Discussion in 'Personal Injury Law Forum' started by fullnatty, 12 March 2018.

Tags:
  1. fullnatty

fullnatty Active Member

Here is the nuts and bolts of my situation:

- Suffered complete tear of my ACL while on duty in 2012.
    - Had knee reconstruction surgery soon after followed by physio for 6 months, all paid for under worker's comp
    - Returned to full duties 9 months after surgery.
    - For past 6 months pain has increasingly returned to my previously injured knee, to the point where I am limping for up to a week at a time.
    - Had not done anything to re-aggravate the injury. Pain is identical in feeling and location as it was during the initial tear and healing period post operation.
    - Have not worked in full duties for the police force for 18 months (unrelated to injury) but am still employed as a full time member of the force.
    - Can not return to unrestricted duties due to my ongoing pain. Can not undertake any other career involving physical duty for the same reason.

Can I seek compensation?

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fullnatty

fullnatty Active Member

I have and they only gave me advice on having further treatment done.

4. Shaun Marcus

Shaun Marcus Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

You could have a claim, your outcome will be different depending upon which state you work in and how your injury occurred (was it an accident or the fault of a third party/employer). Remember strict timelines apply for compensation, 6 years in Victoria, and if so your time limit could be very close.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. fullnatty

fullnatty Active Member

Thanks for your reply.

I'm in NSW, it happened accidentally during a rostered police sporting event in September 2012.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Yes you can and you are not affected by the 2012 amendments as you are a police officer.
    You can seek a ss66/67 permanent impairment claim. If you are over 15% WPI there may be common law claim.

7. fullnatty

fullnatty Active Member

What entails being over 15% WPI for a knee injury post surgery?

8. larrylarry

a complete tear of ACL and continued restriction will likely get you over 15% WPI under AMA5.

9. larrylarry

You will need a IME or independent medical examination and I will recommend Dr James Bodel.
    Get a lawyer to assist you and fees paid by insurer except if you end up going to common law and it would be solicitor-client fees.

10. fullnatty

fullnatty Active Member

Thanks for your info.

I have had a complete tear of the ACL. Could you please clarify what you mean by "continued restriction"?

I have spoken to 2 lawyers today. They both seemed to differ greatly in regards to how much they believe I could be compensated and to be honest I'm unsure which one to go with.