NT Unpaid Fine While on Working Holiday Visa - How to Rectify It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

PAREXEL

15 May 2016
Hello,

I travelled to Darwin in NT in October 2002 on a working holiday visa. I had thought that I had behaved impeccably, however, I met up with a friend recently and he told me that one night I had committed a minor public order offence (urinating in the street) when very drunk and that the police had caught me and fined me on the spot.

I have no recollection of this, I never had the docket and was completely unaware. My friend is adamant that it happened and that the fine was about $100. I am mortified by this and also very concerned that I will have a criminal record now in Australia or a warrant for my arrest or other harsh penalties.

I loved my time in the country and would have paid the fine immediately had I known what I was doing. I am British and would love to come back to Australia, probably Sydney or Brisbane but am now terrified that I will not get a visa, be arrested at the airport and/or have a massive fine.

Who should I contact to pay my fine? Do small fines get written off after a period of time?
Will an unpaid fine of $100 in 2002 result in an arrest warrant or a much larger fine e.g. Thousands of dollars?
Will I have a criminal record now?
Will I not be able to get a visitors visa for Australia now?
Will I get arrested at Sydney airport on arrival?

Thanks in advance for your help. I want to do the right thing and although I was obviously stupid whilst having drunk too much I know that isn't an excuse to break the law and hope that I can return to Australia one day.

PAREXEL

15 May 2016
Just to update, I phoned the fines recovery unit in Darwin. They were brilliant. Found my fine and I paid over the phone. No record or issues and I can now move on.

applestang

25 May 2016
Hi Parexel,

I was just wondering the total amount you had to pay since you incurred the fine on 2002 and paid only on 2016. I have a jay walking fine which is nearly 10 years as well. Just wondering how much I have to pay to clear it. Lastly, how do I check the total amount of the fine incurred? Mine was in Western Australia (Perth).

Thank you.