QLD Theft at Supermarket - Penalties for First Criminal Law Offence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
28 June 2015
I'm very embarrassed. I had stolen items from a supermarket (theft), because I didn't have money for food. I was caught by the security officers and reported to the police. It is my first offence. The police gave me a notice to appear at court. The police notice states “Unlawfully take away goods $ 57.00".

Is this a serious offence (I had no previous criminal record)? What is the possible sentence? I have student visa.

S

Sophea

Hi Claudia, since the value of the goods is under $150, this would be a regulatory offence, and the penalty is a fine of $683.10, not a jail term.

If the magistrate finds you guilty or you plead guilty, a conviction will be recorded on your criminal history in Australia. However since its your first offence, then you may be able to request that the Magistrate not record the conviction. Since its not too serious it shouldn't effect your Visa.

28 June 2015
Thanks for your answer, do I need legal representation? do you know where can I find some body to represent me? please

S

Sophea

I would contact either Legal Aid (I'm not sure whether it is available to people on residents on student visas or not), or otherwise search for a community legal centre. Here is a list of all the free community legal centres in Qld:
Organisations

Reactions: claudiadavinci