NSW Phone Warranty Question

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Throw369Away

23 April 2018
Hi all,

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum!

I've got a question about a phone warranty. I have a phone (~6 months old) from one of the major phone suppliers and recently the charging port has become faulty meaning I am unable to charge the phone. I have been in and as expected they have said this is still covered by the warranty (unless they find damage caused by me which on this fault I don't think they will). However, I have a small crack on the screen which they have said will unfortunately mean when they do the repair the screen will crack out more significantly as they need to take it off. They have said I will need to pay the cost of replacing this as it is outside of warranty (as it was likely accidental damage) for them to go ahead with the charger repair. I was wondering, if I were to refuse to pay this as the crack is very small are they within their rights to refuse to carry out the warranty repair? It's not a huge amount of money to replace the screen but if I can avoid it I would like to. I have actually already had the charger replaced under warranty a couple of months ago but it is playing up again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Anon