NSW Dodgy Sony Computer Repair - Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BoneFido

10 July 2018
"There are no simple questions".

I purchased a high-end Sony laptop from Harvey Norman, the last one HN had in the country.

This was a rushed purchase, as I was in a consumer tribunal about my previous Sony Vaio when I found out Sony was pulling out of Australia. As the outcome of NCAT was uncertain, I chose to purchase this as I did not want to be left without a computer I liked.

My previous VAIO was damaged by a 'repair' by a Sony Service Centre (under previous 'extended warranty, pre Australian Consumer Law), where they destroyed the fixings between the screen and keyboard, rendering the laptop a desktop as the only way it would work was with an external monitor.

The new VAIO had heaps of problems. It was sent in for repair under warranty by HN and it was in repair for almost three months but finally came back having had the motherboard replaced. However, it came back without an operating system and with a product key that didn't work. Months of communication and no resolution but I was able to get the system working again when the free windows 10 came in.

Then more problems, now outside of the 1 year warranty, and Sony agreed to repair it under ACL. Sent it back to repairer telling them it would NOT be ok to keep it for three months again. They did! Claimed the motherboard that needed to be replaced again was lost, delayed, etc.

Finally, with Sony agreeing to cover the cost of the motherboard, it came down to a dispute over a $150 labour charge. HN said they would cover the labour cost, but this was not in writing.

I gave notice to fix it and return it or I would go to NCAT and claim the cost of new laptop (Lenovo Yoga). No joy.

The crux:

Six months in, the repairer said if they did not hear from me they would return the unit to me in its broken state.

They never returned it.

I would like to recover the cost of replacing the laptop as it was a major failure. I've been to NCAT and it is difficult with the consumer having the burden of proof. I was not able to prove that the original repair that started this whole thing was dodgy.

Comments?

Clancy

6 April 2016
I can comment on this section;

"The new VAIO had heaps of problems. It was sent in for repair under warranty by HN and it was in repair for almost three months but finally came back having had the motherboard replaced. However, it came back without an operating system and with a product key that didn't work. Months of communication and no resolution but I was able to get the system working again when the free windows 10 came in".

When a motherboard is replaced, Windows no longer recognizes the system. Otherwise people would be able to move a HDD with the operating system from one computer to another, and Microsoft dont want that happening.

So a repairer replacing a motherboard needs to resolve that problem, otherwise the repair is what they call 'not complete'.

These people have di-cked you around, but I am not surprised given that it is Harvey Norman. Years ago, I bought a new 4 head video machine from Harvey Norman, took it home and the picture quality was 'worse' than the old 2 head video machine! But because the video machine was not technically 'faulty' they refused to refund it. Why would anyone want to buy a product that is worse than the old one it is to replace? Never went back to Harvey Norman after that.

BoneFido

10 July 2018
I can comment on this section;

These people have di-cked you around, but i am not surprised given that it is Harvey Norman. Years ago i bought a new 4 head video machine from Harvey Norman, took it home and the picture quality was 'worse' than the old 2 head video machine!. But because the video machine was not technically 'faulty' they refused to refund it. Why would anyone want to buy a product that is worse than the old one it is to replace? Never went back to Harvey Norman after that.
Technically, it’s Sony’s repairer, not HN. That contributes to the problem. If I got to tribunal do I go against HN, Sony and or the repairer?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Technically, it’s Sony’s repairer, not HN. That contributes to the problem. If I got to tribunal do I go against HN, Sony and or the repairer?

Harvey Norman sold you the product, they are responsible, dont let them fool you otherwise.
Issues with the repairer/Sony are *NOT* your problem, its Harvey Normans problem.

Consumer guarantees

BoneFido

10 July 2018
Went to Local Court - just shy of the 6 year statute of limitations. Repairer was chastised. I got refunded cost of replacement computer and costs.