WA Pension assets test and separating 2 properties as principal places of residence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
28 March 2018
My question relates to separating and having 2 properties in joint names. If you decide to separate from a de facto relationship and you own 2 properties outright, can you claim one property each for the purposes of pension assets test as your principal place of residence if they are both in joint names? And if so, how do you prove that you are separated? Do you need to remove one name from each of the titles, according to which one each person is going to live in? And this leads to the next question: If this is the case, what is the most cost-effective way of separating the 2 titles into single names, with regards to stamp duty etc.?