WA Passport for Child - Disclosing Trip Details to Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NDM0808

12 July 2016
My ex initially consented, in writing, to signing our daughter's passport application which unfortunately expired last year. He did state however, when we were ready. I sent him the application regardless. He lives several hours away in a small country town.

Yesterday he emailed me with a list of demands, some of which I am happy to meet, others I am questioning. He has asked for a copy of her immunization record - no problem supplying that. He has asked to see the full application, not just the page that he has to sign - I have no real problem giving him that except that he then has a document with my details on it and he has stated already that he will only sign it when he chooses.

He has asked for proof of where we are going and when - can't give him that til I can actually book anything which I can't and won't do without a passport but have already told him that we want to go to Bali in the December school holidays (we have been before with him and on our own with his blessing). And I am of course happy to give him these details when I can.

He has also demanded to know whom I am travelling with and who will be looking after our daughter when "I am out or entertaining". He is clearly fishing to see if I am in a relationship as he has been unable to find this out any other way. I'm not and if I were, it's none of his business. I am not travelling with anyone other than my daughter and nor would I leave her to go "out or entertain" whilst in Bali (never have and never would - that was what he did when on family holidays - leave us and go out at night coming home around 3 or 4 am). Anyway, my point is, although I'm not - do I need to tell him this?

He is also insisting he be at the airport to say goodbye (we plan on a 7-day holiday - she hasn't seen him in nearly a year and there is no way we want him being there at the start of a holiday to cause anxiety etc for us both). Also, if I were to give him the "proof" of where and when - do I have to show him airline tickets and accommodation details?

I don't trust him - he will book himself on the same plane and at the same hotel. What actual information do I have to give him? Bear in mind, there are no orders of any sort in place.

He then went on about exercising his rights as a father - I wish people would understand that the first and foremost right of any parent is to be a parent. He doesn't pay child support, he only occasional answers her calls when she rings him, texts him etc. The last time he planned to see her he didn't show up. He moved away without telling me or giving me a forwarding address (or anyone for that matter), changed his email address etc.

I have no doubt the Family Court would issue a passport - but it's the additional costs and stress of going to court that put me off. He is clearly trying to control - but what he is actually doing is creating significant psychological harm to his daughter, who is almost 13, has already seen him do this to his son from a previous marriage who has nothing to do with him either.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So agree to everything... Make sure he is the emergency contact person on daughter's passport form.

Answer all his questions - but inform him that you will not be booking flights until the passport is sorted. I think you'll find you can't book tickets without a passport number anyways. So explain you are unable to inform him of flights etc until they are booked and they can't be booked without the passport number.

You can still give him an itinerary and a hotel that you're planning on booking. There is nothing on the passport form that should cause you any concern - so play along...

Look - I think you're worrying too much, do you really think that he would go to Bali when he cant be bothered to even call her?

That said - I understand crazy too... So - give him all the info you can and explain why it is you can't provide all details like flights that you want to book...But once you get the passport - you'e on your way. So once that happens book flights for the 5th BUT tell him the flights are for the 6th.... Tell him you're staying in Sanur but stay in Kuta...

One more thing - because it is a passport renewal you might have some luck talking to passports - they might help without it going to court.... This link might help

Special circumstances- Australian Passport Office

But - I'm not liking your chances...

I gave up - she signed the forms.... But she didn't stay inside the lines and she used her maiden name in one part of the form but signed it using my last name... They knocked back the form and she refused to re-do it, because that is the sort of hard work I have to deal with..... I'd decided to go to Darwin instead.... Some battles are not worth having... Funnily enough she then sent a form correctly filled out.

Just so you know office of passports will contact him - so be warned...