WA Chances of Getting Passport Without Father's Signature?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NDM0808

12 July 2016
Hi all,

I am wanting to take my daughter to Bali for a holiday at Christmas 2017. She will be 13. She has been twice before, once with both of us and once alone with me whilst her father and I were still married. Her passport expired last year. I have asked him to sign a passport application and he just ignored me. I am planning on sending him the application and again asking but I expect he will just throw it out.

This will purely be out of spite. He moved to the country nearly a year ago and hasn't seen his daughter since - made two attempts to - the first time he texted her half an hour before he was to pick her up saying he wasn't coming - the second time was New Years Day - sent a text at 8 am asking to see her that day even though he knew we were away from town on a family holiday. He rarely pays child support. His refusal to sign a passport is based on spite - hatred of me - for no other reason.

I have read the special circumstances of the Passport Office - I don't think the situation applies at all - they don't seem to have a circumstances for the father just clearly being difficult.

The cost of a Court Application and the stress of it all is somewhat offputting. What do you think my chances are anyway? It's a 7-day holiday.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Go on holidays somewhere else...or make the court application and learn how to self-represent.

kimsland

6 February 2017
He rarely pays child support. His refusal to sign a passport is based on spite - hatred of me - for no other reason.
No it's not, its because he's an asshole. If you 'hated' him (as you likely do), would you also try to ruin your daughter's vacation if he wanted to (or was able to) take her on a holiday? If not, then it is not hatred towards you ;)

Since he has rights of his daughter, then yes you need both signatures. If you (and even your daughter) feel he shouldn't have rights, then you need to go to court to sort that out. Your daughter can also disown him (these court battles are usually lengthy).

Call him up, say stop being an asshole, sign the damn papers for her holiday, does he hate his own daughter!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney