Father won't sign passport please help

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

smarking

10 February 2023
Hi

I have no orders with ex and my daughter currently living with him.

Ex refuses to communicate with me (blocked me on phone etc) which forces my child as a go between. I checked with teenage daughter about the dates to travel overseas to Bali and all was ok. I paid for holiday and two weeks later she tells me he won't let her go now. We are meant to leave in December and she has no passport. He refuses to sign.

His reasoning is the fact that in the past ten years I have used drugs recreationally on FOUR occasions and he believes I would put her at risk. It is absolutely ludicrous, it is control - I left him due to DV and a DVO was issued onto him a few months after we separated ten years ago. Even when I left, the abuse did not stop hence my application several months later.

The reasons he knows this information is my daughter was made privy to this by my recent partner who was also abusive and said this to her as a means to control and punish me. She then of course told her father as she knows he enjoys bad news about me.

I will apply to court for urgency on this but how should I state that it is urgent? Any advice with this for the application would be great and any advice overall!

This is the first time in my life I have been able to afford a trip overseas for my daughter and I cannot believe he would do this to her.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You may find this helpful.

LostEcho

3 April 2023
I'm really sorry to hear about the situation you're facing with your ex. It sounds incredibly frustrating and unfair, especially considering your daughter's excitement about the trip. It's awful that he's using personal information against you like this. As for the urgency in court, I'd suggest emphasizing how this trip means so much to your daughter and how it's a rare opportunity for you both. Sometimes, highlighting the emotional impact can help convey urgency. peaking of documents, have you considered exploring alternative options, like virtual fake ID wesites? They can sometimes help in situations where access to certain documents is restricted. Regarding your court application, highlighting the emotional impact and urgency of the situation could help convey the importance of the trip for your daughter. Hang in there, and I hope everything works out for you both.