NSW Parenting Plan - Refuse to Give Irrevocable Authority Regarding Psychiatrist?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wombo

23 September 2015
I'm currently in the early negotiation stage of developing a parenting plan for my 3-year-old daughter. I've had a few mental health problems over the years but I am now stable and on medication. My ex-partner is requesting that I a) see the psychiatrist every two months b) give irrevocable authority to my psychiatrist to inform the mother of the outcome of each of these appointments, and/or failure to attend a scheduled appointment without good reason and/or if my mental health deteriorates. I only see him every 4 months because I'm doing so well. Do I have any grounds to refuse these requests? (The ex says she will stop all contact with my daughter unless I agree). I currently have supervised contact.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I don't know your situation, but I would be seeing a lawyer before signing anything.

Patients have a right to confidentiality with their treating medical professionals, and with psychologists/psychiatrists in particular, confidentiality is essential to maintain the trust necessary for treatment to actually work. The mother is demanding that you relinquish that right to privacy in exchange for seeing your kids, and it sounds to me that she wishes to use those reports to decide if her expectations are met well enough to "allow" you to see the kids. She may cut contact between the kids and you anyway.

That doesn't sound legal, does it? But it will be if you agree, so I would be very cautious about signing such an agreement.