VIC Outside employment while suspended in APS

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Snowball

30 May 2017
Hi, I have been suspended for around 7 months now and I'm wondering about looking for outside employment while I'm suspended. I am in the APS and their code of conduct says employees must obtain approval before commencing outside employment, what happens if I were to get outside employment and don't get approval?
I'm am worried if I do seek approval they might knock it back.

I have been told that termination is what they are looking to do, unless I can give them a reason to change their mind. I sent a letter giving my reasons and the suspension has been extended another month. Some people have suggested to me they are trying to drag it out hoping I resign or give up. Everyone I talk to says I should get legal advice as they feel the penalty doesn't fit the crime. My concern is that I can't afford a massive legal bill if things don't go my way. Not sure what I should do.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Suspended with pay?

If you are tired of staying at home, or not interested in holidays, then seek approval for other work. Do not give then a valid reason for termination.

re: Suspension. You should at least seek some preliminary legal advice on what to do and what to say to the employer.

Lance

31 October 2015
Rod is on the money. Be careful not to give them grounds for termination. You shouldn't have a problem asking, but 7 months suspension seems unreasonable, you really need to speak with a Lawyer.