QLD Suspended from Work Without Pay

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Junior,

1. Look at your employment contract. Does it say anything about when they can withhold pay? Does it say what happens if your license is suspended or revoked?

2. Was the decision to suspend you your employer's decision or a professional body's? If it was your employer's and it later proved that they had no ground to suspend you, then it would be reasonable they compensate you with your missed months' worth of pay (or part of it). However, if it was a professional body's and your position depended on you being licensed, then it might be reasonable for your employer to withhold your pay. It really comes down to a matter of negotiation with your employer. This could be a question to ask your solicitor.

3. Like Rod said, if your suspension was due to someone reporting you and their report was without grounds, then if you cannot recover your full wages from your employer, you may have an action against that person. Again, this would depend on the specifics of your case (e.g. what information did that person base their accusations on) and may be a question to ask your solicitor.

Reactions: Junior

Junior

13 November 2014
Many thanks @ Rod and Sarah J,

I will begin my mandatory program in the next two weeks. I am no longer suspended from my duty but It will not end here. As Rod had said, "Worth looking at for 8+ months lost pay".
I already requested my employment contract, thanks to you at Sarah J.

Reactions: Sarah J

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Junior,

Good to hear you're back at work. Of course, if you can recoup the past 8+ months of salary (or part of) that is great, but I encourage you to focus on the future and try to move on from this incident.

Reactions: Junior

Junior

13 November 2014
@ Sarah J,

Just to update you that I was able to passed the program that my employer prepared exclusively for my return. Last week was my first day back at work since I was stood down from my care of duty last April 2014. It was an emotional journey since I was falsely accused by my ex wife. I, thank you for everything since day one I created this thread. You never stop from replying to my queries and series of statements that was relevant to my case.

Reactions: Sarah J

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Junior,

I'm so glad to hear you are back to work despite the accusations. Thank you for updating us on your situation. I'm glad my response helped you, in a little way, to manage through this time. Best of luck with your return to work and glad you found this website helpful.