NSW Our Constitution, law and human rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Unfortunately, your beliefs don’t factor into the equation. Perhaps if enough people thought as you do there would be sufficient gravitas to effect a change to the law; but I suggest there is not. Or, at least, not enough to care sufficiently one way or another.

Despite this, there is one major failing with your ‘insurance instead of helmets argument’ - aside from the very valid aspect that no amount of insurance dollars can correct death or permanent incapacitating injury (not yet). An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

The one major failure is the comparative ease of policing between the two. It is much easier and quicker to see who is wearing a helmet than it is look up whether the motorcyclist has the requisite current insurance.

Reactions: Tim W

sammy01

27 September 2015
OR you are a peanut.

So you have a licence. You passed a test to get that licence. The test told you helmets were mandatory. That is the rule of law in this country. You accepted the licence knowing that. Now you wanna whinge about your 'human rights' being breached? FARK me. Really? Go live in North Korea princess.

Or don't wear the helmet. Refuse to pay the fines. Take your case to the UN? But you'll have to line up behind individials who have been raped, abused, deprived of food and the basics to sustain life. I've no doubt the magistrate in that court will give two hoots about you and your helmet

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney

sammy01

27 September 2015
Tim I recall you telling someone to to play in the sand pit and leave this to the grown ups...
In that instance it really was uncalled for. Here you've got a bloke who will not listen to reasoned argument about helmet laws...

Reactions: Atticus

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Tim I recall you telling someone to to play in the sand pit and leave this to the grown ups...
In that instance it really was uncalled for. Here you've got a bloke who will not listen to reasoned argument about helmet laws...
Perhaps what you recall is me telling somebody to be quiet while the grown ups were talking.
Perhaps you also recall that that person had interposed her/himself into a conversation where they had nothing to add,
were not rational, and in which where they were largely engaged in trying to hijack that conversation,
and extrapolate their own anecdote, masked with petty rhetoric, into a different discussion.

That would be the same thread where the OP (that is, not the one doing the interrupting)
didn't understand, and wouldn't be told, that coming under notice when you have a First Instance Warrant out on you
is very likely indeed to lead to your immediate arrest.

All in, I'm not sure that your rebuke above is exactly based on apples and apples.