NSW Traffic Law - Appeal Speeding Fines if Caught by Camera?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AlexS

27 August 2015
I was riding my motorcycle on a busy 3 lane road at 8.57 in the morning in a school zone. I was on the left lane at the traffic light (where the camera is at). All the left lane traffic in front of me were turning left so I decided to merge to the middle lane. I checked my mirrors and proceeded to start merging (at 30 km/h) to the middle lane. Right when I was about half-way through the merge I realised a van on the right lane also started merging to the middle lane. As the road was wet, my only solution that I managed to come up with at the time was to accelerate. The reason for that is:
1) Slamming on the brakes would've been dangerous since the road was wet and I was in the middle of a merge (pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to stop in time regardless).
2) Going back to the left lane would've been dangerous due to the stationary cars at the left lane attempting to turn left.

Accelerating helped me get in front of the van safely however I'm pretty sure the camera got me. If it did, would I be able to appeal the speeding fines it in Traffic Law court with a good winning chance? I'm a learner rider and I just got my L's recently (about 2 weeks ago).

An illustration that I drew using MS paint (red circle = where the traffic lights are at)
IdFxlIP.png

Thank you

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
If you think you have a good case, you could try and defend it....but wait and see if you actually get a ticket first.

AlexS

27 August 2015
You do have a point. It's just that I've been too anxious which I believe is starting to affect my riding. I'll wait and see if I do get one (hopefully I won't).

Anyway, what do you guys think? If I do get one, would I have a good winning chance if I plead leniency?

Ponala

10 February 2015
What are you trying to achieve? To get out of it, to have the fine lowered, to take it to court................