Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Options Under Family Law If Niece Doesn't Feel Safe at Home?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by concerned a, 11 October 2015.

  1. concerned a

    concerned a New Member

    9 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    What options do I have under family law when my niece no longer feels safe in her parents’ house? She is 15 years old and has been threatened. My sister went to get her to bring her to our house.
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    What kind of threats are we talking? You can contact child services if there is perceived to be an imminent danger to the child.
  3. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Also anyone who believes a child is in need of protection can contact the department of communities, child safety and disability services with their concerns. If they think the child needs protection they can make an application to the children's court for a protection order. This will normally say where the child should live - which may be with a relative or foster parent.

    Once a child is 16 they will normally not be forced to return home by authorities as long as they have a safe place to go and can support themselves financially. Centrelink benefits are usually available once you turn 16.

    If you are willing I would give your niece the option of going to live with you or another relative and if need be contact the Dept of Communities.

Share This Page