NSW

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LeeSMaz

2 July 2020
Hi,

A car has been abandoned in my rental property garage. It has no rego plates on it. The tenant was evicted after months long process and given months of notice and final court ordered eviction by sheriff and notice ordered to remove goods property and his cars was given 2+ weeks ago. He had 2 cars. All eviction process and notification times expire in 24 hours time , its been a long ongoing process.
The tenant is gone, but has left a car inoperative unregistered in the garage.

I have 2 questions under property law. The car is currently not running and not roadworthy, but it can be fixed.
It can be worth quite a bit once fixed, hence my interest in it rather then council, tow truck contractors and
holding yard getting it.

1 - Can I take ownership of the abandoned property and repair it, and if so, how?
2 - If I cannot take ownership, can I remove the car from my property (surrender for scrap)?(I now know I cant)

I have read some research on it, where the council, trucking contractors and holding yards can tow it away for u,
issue another round of impound of 28 days and they then can auction it and keep the proceeds for costs etc...
Be great to get in on that deal, but is that the only way that this car can be dealt with. Is it the landlord cannot
gain the car themselves. It must go to the council and their contractors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Wonder where they get auctioned. Probably have to be a licensed motor dealer
to get in on that too...I also read that owners corporation strata can claim it if abandoned on common property.