VIC Not notified of court date

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

crookie1969

27 May 2021
Victoria
Hello, back in Dec 2019 I was pulled over by the police and sent 2 fines in the mail. 1 for drive vehicle without number plates and another for breach load restraint limit. I wanted to fight the fines as I was towing a registered vehicle at the time and not required under the Act to display the towing vehicle plate on the back of the towed vehicle and the towed vehicle was secured to the towing vehicle (hence to towing infringement notice). So I opted to take the matter to court. The plea hearing date was set for 23 April 2020 via webex. I did the right thing and was online and spoke to the Magistrate. The police did not attend to my knowledge and the hearing was put on hold as the police did not contact me before the hearing date to see what my defence was so they could drop whatever charges. Yesterday, 26 May I received a letter from Fines Victoria stating that the court has ordered (on 17 May) that I pay the fine. I am now extremely confused as the police did not attend the plea hearing, the Magistrate put a hold on the proceedings until the police had been in contact with me, I was not notified of a new time or date of the plea hearing and somehow I now have a court order issued for the fine that I wanted to plead not guilty to. This doesn't make sense to me, can someone please explain how this occurs or if it's legal or even fightable?

Reactions: 457Visafraud

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Contact the court registry asking what happened. And check your junk mail to see if a court notification appeared there.

crookie1969

27 May 2021
Victoria
Thank you for responding. The Junk folder is clear and only has the usual marketing junk but I will try to contact the registry. I'm guessing they will be closed for the 7 days, so I may have to wait until then.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No, registries are still open.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Do an anullment application immediately highlighting reasons. Is successful, that would restart the court process.

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
Do an anullment application immediately highlighting reasons. Is successful, that would restart the court process.
That would create a loophole of misunderstanding and troubles especially in this pandemic moment when Magistrates are overcrowded, under financed and staff is under stress.
Just call the Magistrate and explain what happened or even better send an e-mail so you have written records.