NSW Unregistered Vehicle Towed

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michael1983

23 September 2021
My Vehicle was legally parked on street level opposite my property next to a soccer field. The vehicle ran out of registration for approximately 2 weeks however the green slip was up to date. I did not have a chance to get the vehicle registered due to the current CV19 lockdown an risk to my newborn and immune compromised disabled partner. In that two week period Council has towed my vehicle away to an Auction and now i am over a barrel by the Auction company who wont release the car without payment of Storage and towing fees totaling $800. (When the car is only worth $2,500 when registered). I would like to know any legal avenues I have given the following:
1. Council never notified me of the intent to tow. They claim to have sent a letter, but they sent it to an address from 2 years ago.
2. My address is current at the TfNSW/RMS and I have been paying Council rates for 2 years at the current address. So there is no excuse for them to have the incorrect address.
3. Councils actions put me in this position but they are not the ones in possession of the vehicle.
4. in general i think it is pretty scrummy act to tow a cur parked legally that is less than the 3 months out of rego TfNSW requirement. During a lockdown, when people are isolating as per Health department recommendations. but that is more of a vent than a defense.
4. Also due to covid, the Auction place will not allow me to collect any belongings from the car. such as disability permit, navman etc.

Michael1983

23 September 2021
I wrote to my local Member explaining what had happened. They said they will arrange to get the car back for me and Council will pay the fees. I got nowhere with Council to the point they were straight up rude and dismissive. Yet within litteral hours of me contacting my local Member I got an apology phone call and told they would completely change the way they attempt to notify people before towing.

Michael1983

23 September 2021
They will tow it back to me in the next few days apparently. So I definately recommend going to the local Member when Councils ignore you and treat you with contempt.