WA No Family Court Orders - Ex Using Fake Lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Okay, so let's look at what's likely to happen if you or the father do pursue this matter through the Court.

First, you must both attend a family dispute resolution conference to try and negotiate an outcome without Court intervention. In the event you're unable to reach an agreement, an s60I certificate will be issue, enabling either you or the other parent to file an initiating application with the Court.

So, let's say an application is filed with the court, in which you're seeking that the child lives with you and spend time with the father. Your argument so far is that it's what your daughter wants, so we'll roll with that for now.

If the Court is asked to decide, it will determine care arrangements based on what it determines are in the child's best interests. The legislative pathway the Court must follow when determining what's best for the children is contained in section 60CC of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth): FAMILY LAW ACT 1975 - SECT 60CCHow a court determines what is in a child's best interests

You'll notice that any views the child expresses form only one consideration of many in what's best for the child, and for most children under the age of 12, those views are given minimal weight. For a child of 14, her views will be given weight, but rarely ever does the Court decide what the child's views are based on the reports of the respective parents. To the contrary, section 60CD essentially holds that the most valid way in which a child's views are determined is through an Independent Children's Lawyer or a Family Consultant.

So, what other considerations are taken into account?

There's the capacity of each parent to meet the child's needs. If you're including the child in discussions about care arrangements that should be carried out with the father, rather than the child (for example: "When I asked her why she agreed"; "in my eyes if she wants to stay then I will do as she asks"), then it could be argued that you are inappropriately burdening your daughter with disputes that should be reserved for the grown-ups, contrary to her emotional needs. It could also be said that by saying to the child that she doesn't have to go back to her dad's if she doesn't want to, that you're inadvertently discouraging her relationship with him.

There's also the impact on the child of the orders you're requesting. She's undoubtedly settled at her current school, has friends there, and has developed some community roots there. It also sounds like the father's residence has been her primary residence for some time, but also that 50/50 has been in place for a while. It also sounds like she's enjoyed a regular pattern of time with each parent, and currently spends plenty of time with the siblings that live at her two respective households, so how is it better for her to uproot all of that so she lives primarily with you?

Now, your willingness to disrupt the child's routine at her request is somewhat telling, as well - if the Court were to make orders in your favour, what's to say you won't refuse to send the child to the father's house in the event the child says 'I don't want to go to dad's today'? Who is to say you won't frustrate the child's time with her dad as another effort 'not to let them get away with it'?

I'm not siding with the father, and quite frankly, using a false lawyer to intimidate you is unethical and below the belt, but I am trying to provide some insight about what kind of issues you might come up against if this matter were to proceed to Court.

Instead of going vigilante on the father and getting back at them by withholding the child and disrupting her routine, you're better off following the proper avenues and organising a family dispute resolution conference with him to discuss what the child has told you and try and negotiate whether or not it's in her best interests for the current care arrangements to change. Relationships Australia even offers child-inclusive mediation conferences, which entails a professional speaking with your daughter to determine her wishes and presenting them to you and the father so they may be taken into consideration at your family dispute resolution conference.

Ellebelle80

4 April 2016
Thank you. I will take all that into consideration.

Can you tell me if she corresponds with me under a different name to which she practices law can she take a defamation case against me? I confronted her about not being a certified lawyer and she says she practices under her Chinese name.

This woman will not leave me alone...emails, Facebook and now texts!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
She can't sue you for defamation unless the defamatory statements are communicated publicly, identify the party affected and are false statements.

My suggestion is to respond to her text message and state that you do not consent to being contacted in any way other than e-mail and that you will file a formal complaint with the Legal Practices Board of WA if she continues to contact you using any other service, or failing that, you will contact the police.

Keep it professional and polite.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I would suggest that you consider going to the police. You could ask for an AVO against the ex and the 'solicitor'. While you're there, make sure the child is a protected person, but do this when the child is with you. Then you can keep the kid with you until the courts can work this mess out.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Disagree with the above. The lawyer won't have a relevant relationship to justify an AVO, the father asking for your word that the child will be returned isn't harassment. The court won't likely include the child as a protected person. Withholding the child over discontent about the lawyer tactic is going to look extremely bad for you if the father or you takes this to court.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hang on a minute. Let's assume the solicitor is fake. Well, our poster is being intimidated by a person who is using a false identification to force the mother to comply with some pretty unreasonable expectations. Is it harassment? Yep.

If she feels threatened and intimidated, then the cops could be prepared to get involved.

I have asked the original poster a few times, have you sought legal advice? If not, you really should.

Ellebelle80

4 April 2016
Yes, guys, I have sought legal advice and I can take civil action against her. The Legal practice board is investigating and I sent them everything. Even they are disgusted at the lengths this woman will go. I am currently trying to find the funds to take her to court for harassment as well. No lawyer should contact you through Facebook or text and tell you she feels very, very sorry for your children!

My daughter (who knows her) is now acting strangely and avoiding me and my messages just asking how her day was or telling her I love her. She now wants to stay with her dad who is bribing her through a new phone and gifts and promising to join her up to social clubs. I'm ready to give up the fight.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Your ready to give up the fight? It's like you're swinging from one extreme to the other? Find the middle ground, chose your battles wisely, let the authorities worry who is a lawyer and who is not. You're getting all sidetracked by that, you have given authorities the information, your job is done. Now focus on resolving custody, some good information already given toward that.

If you have a difficult ex you can insist they sign 'consent orders' to whatever you agree in mediation or your just wasting your time.

Ellebelle80

4 April 2016
Your ready to give up the fight? Its like your swinging from one extreme to the other? Find the middle ground, chose your battles wisely, let the authorities worry who is a lawyer and who is not, your getting all sidetracked by that, you have given authorities the information, your job is done, now focus on resolving custody,, some good advice already given toward that.

If you have a difficult ex you can insist they sign 'consent orders' to whatever you agree in mediation or your just wasting your time.

So how would you feel if someone said that you can't see your daughter on her birthday unless you agree to sign something that a 'fake' lawyer sent you and at the time you thought was real? I have spent so much money on legal advice after she came to me asking to live with me and now she doesn't want to?

Yes I will be doing mediation but she's at the age where she can choose and changing her mind all the time is causing me great stress...then add the 'lawyer' sending me messages assuring me she is real and I have attacked her personally so she's suing me!

I'm sorry but I've lost my daughter (I will continue to have her each weekend and holidays) but I won't let this woman take away my right to justice either. How many other people has she done this to and they were too scared to fight so they gave in?

I am an emotional mess and my phone never stops be it from the 'lawyer', my ex or the legal practice board. I cannot block my ex as its my contact with my daughter.

Clancy

6 April 2016
So how would you feel if someone said that you can't see your daughter on her birthday unless you agree to sign something that a 'fake' lawyer sent you and at the time you thought was real? I have spent so much money on legal advice after she came to me asking to live with me and now she doesn't want to?

Yes I will be doing mediation but she's at the age where she can choose and changing her mind all the time is causing me great stress...then add the 'lawyer' sending me messages assuring me she is real and I have attacked her personally so she's suing me!

I'm sorry but I've lost my daughter (I will continue to have her each weekend and holidays) but I won't let this woman take away my right to justice either. How many other people has she done this to and they were too scared to fight so they gave in?

I am an emotional mess and my phone never stops be it from the 'lawyer', my ex or the legal practice board. I cannot block my ex as its my contact with my daughter.

My heart goes out to you, especially because your an emotional mess. My humble advice at this point is to seek counselling... i have done it myself when i was all emotional,,, they really helped me get my head on straight. I went through the family relationship center and got a free counselling session, i hope this helps?