Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD No Drivers Licence, Unregistered and Fake Plates - Can Car Get Impounded?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Michelle-Brockie, 10 January 2015.

1. Michelle-Brockie

Can your car get impounded on you first traffic law offence for unlicensed (no drivers licence), unregistered and false plate's, but your CTP car insurance is current?

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @Michelle-Brockie,
    I assume that you were charged with at least two (2) Type 2 offences:
    1. driving a vehicle that is uninsured and unregistered; and
    2. driving without a licence or when your licence has been suspended.
    In relation to Type 2 offences:
    1. if you are charged with only one (1) Type 2 offence in the past five years, then the Queensland Police generally have no right to impound your car; and
    2. if you were charged with two (2) Type 2 offences (as assumed above), then the Queensland Police generally have the right to impound your car for seven days.
    Further information:
    Why do you think that having Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is relevant? I can only assume that it may assist you to support a contention that the car was previously registered.

I would strongly encourage you to engage a lawyer or Legal Aid to assist you in relation to this matter.
    Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michelle-Brockie

no I have full comprehensive and Third party insurance I want to take my car tova mecanic and so forth to

4. John R

John R Well-Known Member

What offences were you specifically charged with?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Phildo

Phildo Well-Known Member

It will depend on the law in your state.

Here in WA, a vehicle will be impounded for 28 days (first offence) if either the vehicle or driver is unlicenced.

False plates could also add to this - possible fraud (although unlikely).

An unlicenced vehicle can be moved with a permit. If the driver is unlicenced then he/she is not legally allowed to drive any vehicle (unless it is something extreme, such as saving a human life).

CTP probably won't apply as the conditions of it will include that both the car and driver are legally licenced.

6. lawanswers

lawanswers Moderator
    Staff Member

From Twitter: