QLD No Drivers Licence, Unregistered and Fake Plates - Can Car Get Impounded?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
10 January 2015
Can your car get impounded on you first traffic law offence for unlicensed (no drivers licence), unregistered and false plate's, but your CTP car insurance is current?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Michelle-Brockie,
I assume that you were charged with at least two (2) Type 2 offences:
  1. driving a vehicle that is uninsured and unregistered; and
  2. driving without a licence or when your licence has been suspended.
In relation to Type 2 offences:
  1. if you are charged with only one (1) Type 2 offence in the past five years, then the Queensland Police generally have no right to impound your car; and
  2. if you were charged with two (2) Type 2 offences (as assumed above), then the Queensland Police generally have the right to impound your car for seven days.
Further information:
Why do you think that having Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is relevant? I can only assume that it may assist you to support a contention that the car was previously registered.

I would strongly encourage you to engage a lawyer or Legal Aid to assist you in relation to this matter.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
What offences were you specifically charged with?

Phildo

1 November 2014
It will depend on the law in your state.

Here in WA, a vehicle will be impounded for 28 days (first offence) if either the vehicle or driver is unlicenced.

False plates could also add to this - possible fraud (although unlikely).

An unlicenced vehicle can be moved with a permit. If the driver is unlicenced then he/she is not legally allowed to drive any vehicle (unless it is something extreme, such as saving a human life).

CTP probably won't apply as the conditions of it will include that both the car and driver are legally licenced.