QLD My girlfriend won’t stop stealing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve-o

9 November 2019
She’s constantly stealing through self serve checkout, she said she’d stopped but she used my card for groceries and the charge on my account doesn’t match up with how many groceries she brought home. I’m concerned for her she’s done it so many times I’m afraid when they finally catch her the charges would accumulate to something very serious.
Would somebody please tell me how badly this is going to turn out so she can start taking it seriously.
And if anyone’s experienced this a little advice would be appreciated.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
1. Tell her that if she keeps it up, it's inevitable that she will eventually get caught.

2. Tell her what the maximum penalties are:
If the value is $150 or less: $800 fine. (Tell her that if she get's caught and cops a fine, she's on her own and you won't help her pay it.)
If the value is over $150: 5 years imprisonment. (She's obviously on her own with that one.)

3. Tell her that you've done some research and the consensus is that Australians are fed up with having to pay higher prices because of people like her. In short, there's a very high chance that if an everyday Joe see's what she's doing, they'll dob her in.

Steve-o

9 November 2019
Oh I’ve told her that first part.
I won’t be showing her this though, bloody $800!? I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if she’d gotten her money’s worth already.
I think I’ll tell her a mates mate is a lawyer and says they can be added together n she could get 5years. That should scare her off it.

And someone did dob her in! It was over a month ago, she got very embarrassed scanned and paid, we had the chat and I thought it’d never happen again.
Problem is idk and I don’t think she knows why she does it but I guess that’s a question for another online community.
Yea sorry mate I’m fed up too but I’m getting this thief sorted.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I think I’ll tell her a mates mate is a lawyer and says they can be added together n she could get 5years. That should scare her off it.
Can't hurt.

There's a whole bunch of things you can try, but you probably want to make sure before trying any of this. Some depend on your living arrangements and some are a bit extreme, so it depends on how far you're willing to go...
- tell her there'll be consequences for your relationship if it continues, especially if the Police show up with a search warrant.
- threaten to dob her in yourself if she doesn't stop.
- don't let her shop with your cards.
- don't let her shop alone.
- check all receipts against the items bought.

If nothing else works and you're willing to get others involved...
- if she comes home with something she hasn't paid for, take her back to the store and make her explain herself.
- speak to the store manager and ask them to watch her at the checkouts in a "very obvious way" - she should quickly realise that "they're onto her" and that might be enough.
- go see the Police and ask them to come and have a chat to her. They do that kind of thing all the time (especially with minors), so they will certainly know how to put a real scare into her. The Police can actually be very good at dealing with these types of situations.

Be creative and try whatever you think will work. But keep in mind that it might not work, in which case if you really want to stop this behaviour, you might have to act and obviously, there could be consequences if you go down that path - both for her and for your relationship.

If nothing works and she won't stop, then at the end of the day, getting caught might be the best thing for everyone - her, you and the store.

sammy01

27 September 2015
1 don't give her your bank card.
2. Dump her. At very least make it clear that you would dump her if it continues. Not exactly wifey / mummy material down the track....
TRUE?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Yea sorry mate I’m fed up too but I’m getting this thief sorted.
No need to apologise to anyone mate - it's not your fault. Kudos for doing something about it though.