QLD Shoplifted at Coles, not sure what happens now.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sega

27 September 2017
Hi

I very stupidly attempted to steal a few items from the self service checkout at Coles. It was $16 worth of items. I did however legally pay the majority of my groceries ($60+).
I was caught and the employee simply made me pay the $16 and that was it.

I got home and started Googling what will happen and I’m very anxious about being contacted by police and being charged. But the employee didn’t get my details or anything so I’m just not sure what to expect or what to do.

I feel completely awful and I’ve never done anything like this in my life, I definitely won’t be doing this again. I’m a 22 yr old uni student and I don’t want this to affect my future career. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do nothing. Suggest you shop elsewhere for a while.

While it is likely nothing will happen, there's nothing you can do to stop them taking action if they want to take action. They only have two ways of chasing you - through your card, or identification. You reduce the second possibility by shopping elsewhere for a period of time.

Reactions: Gigi26

sammy01

27 September 2015
do not speak to the police if they ask for an interview...
do not speak to the police if they ask for an interview...
yup wrote it twice just to make sure...
You might be asked to the police station, go... and say I don't want to say anything. The police will be super nice and tell you that if you admit then it will be better... WHAT THEY MEAN is it will be better for them because they don't have to do work to prove guilt....

22 yr old uni student??? really, I thought to go to uni you needed to be smart. Do this crap again and you might just find the cops will look into it more and if they find evidence that there was intent then they will charge you regardless of whether or not you make a statement and you could get a criminal record...