VIC Ashamed shoplifter banned forever at Kmart

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tinydancer

28 April 2021
So first of all I would like to say that in the past I would shoplift but never got caught. I have been getting psychiatric help for many years for a number of disorders including theft and I thought everything was fine until today when I decided to stop in to Kmart on my way to my psychiatrist appointment. I know there is no excuse for what I did but I’ve recently had medication changes, I’ve had a number of medical tests come back positive resulting in me needing to see an oncologists on top of my chronic nerve pain and all my psychiatric conditions I guess I just lost control. I purposely opened up a box and put items in it and resealed it. The staff member at the checkout open it and yelled at the top of her voice through her ear piece for a manager. They Made me wait at the checkout while they checked the cameras and informed me that they have vision of me doing what I did. The manager told me they have my face on camera even though I wear a facemask because I am immunocompromised and told me that I had two choices …to never enter the store again or have the police called. So I chose the first option and I actually still wanted to purchase my items which the manager was shocked about but I made my purchase and the manager walked me to the entrance and informed me that my photo would be sent to all surrounding stores but it will not be shown on display. They never took my details, never took me down the back, I never saw the footage. Have I just been banned from all Kmart stores? Reading other people‘s questions makes me concerned about their lack of action. Are the police going to be knocking at my door?

Ponala

10 February 2015
Sounds like you all good now. Police not called. Hard to enforce a banning.