WA Motorcycle Damage - What is Covered?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alex Hendriks

7 March 2019
Hello,

I have a motorcycle, that contains aftermarket parts, including air filters.

A few weeks ago, I was riding a few hundred meters from home when an oncoming car attempted to cross over into my lane and turn into a side street and failed to give way to me. I applied emergency braking and a collision was avoided, but as a result of the emergency braking and swerving, the bike went over on to road (it was when I had come to a stop). The driver had braked/stopped when in my lane, but then took off without checking on my status. There was a bit of body damage, but the bike was ride-able, so I was able to ride it the short distance home.

I managed to obtain a license plate and witnesses can confirm the incident occurred, but Insurance are waiting for the driver's contact details from Police (through their investigation), so currently I've liable for the excess.

Insurance will cover the repairs and asked me to drop off at a repairer. I opted to go with the dealership which was only a couple of km's away. Just before reaching the dealership, there was there was a clunking sound that started from the motor. After the mechanic investigated, they advised it was due to a loose nut from the air filter. They suspect that the nut had been sitting in the bottom of the filter and when the bike went over, it caused the nut to enter the engine intake.

So my question is, will/should insurance cover any engine damage that may have occurred? I'm hearing that due to the loose nut from an aftermarket part, that insurance shouldn't, but I'm also hearing that due to the nut entering the intake only because of the bike going over/incident, that they should.

I'm obviously leaning to the latter because if it wasn't due to the driver and their actions, then the motorcycle wouldn't have gone over and the nut wouldn't have entered the intake. What do the experts think?

Cheers