NSW Mother doesn't let me see the Paternity test results

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bec99999

29 January 2021
Nsw
My ex-girlfriends had a baby in October last year. During the whole pregnancy she stated it was mine. Few weeks before the child's birth she told me is not mine. I requested a paternity test, which was done. But the clinic sent the result to her and now she is refusing to show me the results, and she has stop all communications with me. The clinic also refuses to sent me a copy because she signed as the applicant. Can the clinic refuse to give me a copy of the results if they have my name on it? I really need to know if I'm the father. And she won't let me anywhere near the baby. What are my options?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Were you living with your girlfriend at all? .... Particularly anywhere between 44 & 20 weeks BEFORE the birth date?

If so, you are the presumed father under the family law act & being so you have the right to file for parenting orders

sammy01

27 September 2015
So firstly mate I feel for you.
My advice is brutal but well intentioned.

So there are rules about how much govt assistance mother's can get if they're not prepared to name the father. I'll try and find some links later. BUT there are real financial reasons for her to make sure the father is identified. It is expected the father will pay child support and if the mother chooses not to collect child support then the govt will reduce the amount of financial assistance they provide. Why would she choose to fogoe that free $$$ and take some $$ from you? is she loaded? yep didn't think so.

If you have half a reason to doubt whether or not you are the father then my advice (brutal) is to run like Forrest Gump.

So a bloke looking at the information your provided from a nice safe distance has this advice. RUN MORE.

The fact that she had a paternity test gives reason to doubt you are not the dad (BTW I don't believe the test was done - I'm a cynic. Why agree to do the test and then NOT share the result). But lets get over that hurdle. So the test was done. Hmmm But she wont share the result? U'm.... Have you stopped running. Don't run some more...

Mate. I want you to go for a long walk. Seriously, no more Forrest Gump jokes. Take some time to process this. But you don't want to find yourself paying child support for 18 years for a child who you might not even get to have a relationship with and might not even be your's.

Last edited:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Assume you are not the father and follow Sammy's advice.

If she is being difficult now, she will likely only get worse later.