SA Child Support and Paternity

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
2 July 2019
Hi there,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me. I will do my best to be concise and document the main points of this (very long) story.

My husband was involved in a very short relationship with a woman approximately seven years ago, before we had met. This relationship lasted about eight weeks; the woman became extremely psychologically and physically abusive, resulting in the police being called twice to remove her from his home, his vehicle purposely damaged by her and a stay in hospital after he attempted suicide. She has/had aspirations to work in medicine, so she begged him not to file an AVO and he did not. They broke up. Now, the main points:

- She informed him a few weeks after the break-up that she was pregnant. She has a history of lying and was not believed at first, especially as she allegedly had a medical condition that meant she could not get pregnant. However, she later proved it.
- My husband questioned paternity at the time, and she admitted he was one of a couple of possible fathers.
- The baby is born; she gets in contact asking for cash, but refuses to grant a paternity test despite being asked multiple times.
- We endure three years of sporadic threats, guilt trips and repeated denial of a test. My husband eventually stops responding. She goes silent for about a year.
- In December 2018, a child support application is received. He is not on the birth certificate and questioned paternity. Just before Christmas, a notice stating the application was refused is received.
- According to LegalAid's website, the applicant had 56 days to appeal. This was not done.
- Today, a LegalAid letter is received asking my husband to agree to a paternity test, or he "may" be taken to court.

Now, my questions:

- My husband has given her multiple opportunities, for years, to get a test done. There is no guarantee she will follow through with the process now. He is sick of wasting time and having contact with this unwell and possibly dangerous person. What happens if she doesn't show up?
- She had 56 days to appeal the child support application rejection. This is well overdue; why is there a time limit if she can still proceed with court etc. more than 150 days later? Does backpay come into it if the application was previously rejected?
- My husband has a lot of evidence of her abuse in the form of text messages, police reports and letters. Could he still get an AVO? (We understand that an AVO against the mother isn't an "out" for child support, that would still be paid if he was actually the father. It is just not at all good for his mental health to keep this contact going).

If you got this far, thank you for reading. I appreciate any clarity that can be provided. This has been a huge strain for him (and to a lesser extent, our family life) and it just never seems to go away. We are expecting a child and there is a possibility we will move temporarily to Singapore for my job next year.

Atticus

6 February 2019
he baby is born; she gets in contact asking for cash, but refuses to grant a paternity test despite being asked multiple times.
Today, a LegalAid letter is received asking my husband to agree to a paternity test, or he "may" be taken to court.

I'm a little confused.. She has refused to take participate in a paternity test initially, but now wants to get a court order for a test?

CSA can accept paternity based on a number of factors without the father being named on a birth certificate... If they have rejected the application then a DNA test is the only remaining option... If the court orders a paternity test & the result confirms paternity, then a certificate can be issued by the court that will allow CSA to do a CS assessment which may lead to the father needing to pay CS...

I if there is some doubt, then wait to see if a court application actually materializes...

As for the AVO. He can take what evidence he has & attempt a private application, but historical incidences may not be enough.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok so the history of dv is irrelevant. Moving to Singapore is irrelevant. Just sorting the shaft from the hay, hey...

There are 3 questions here that intertwine
1. Is the father.
2. The due date for appeal.
3. The chances of taking it to court.
Am I reading this right?

My thinking. Do nothing. If he receives a letter from the courts telling him that a court case is pending (btw - I'm willing to bet it won't come to that) But if it does, then agree to do the test. Why, well once it is in the court system, he will be ordered to do the thing anyways, so you could spend $$ fighting it and lose. So do the test. Peace of mind either way I'm thinking...

If it comes back positive / or negative based on your thinking.... Then I'd expect that child support wont back date and that is another reason to avoid court, courts could backdate - but if CSA don't have a case / application then they will only start hitting him up for $ from the time he informs them he is the dad.

THis is complex, I hope my info helps. It might be a good idea to speak to a solicitor. But as a punter on a forum, I am pretty confident on this one that my advice is pretty good

Pascal

12 June 2019
Child support can't be paid unless there is proof that the father is actually the child's. I wouldn't worry to much unless you are wondering he is actually the dad , but if she is avoiding the test it's likely he is not the dad. If she stalks you and stuff call the police . Simple

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Child support can't be paid unless there is proof that the father is actually the child's. I wouldn't worry to much unless you are wondering he is actually the dad , but if she is avoiding the test it's likely he is not the dad. If she stalks you and stuff call the police . Simple

Sort of, but not quite. The Child Support Registrar can make a determination on the presumption of parentage which it would then be up to the alleged father to contest.

In practical terms CSA could make a presumption of parentage decision and then invite the alleged father to dispute it. The point being: they've already made the decision and are asking for reasons why they shouldn't maintain it. That's a different proposition to having to prove the situation before making the decision.

Read here: 3.1.6.20 Presumption of Parentage - Stage 2 | Family Assistance Guide

2 July 2019
I'm a little confused.. She has refused to take participate in a paternity test initially, but now wants to get a court order for a test?

Yes, pretty much. She has refused for years, but is now going through LegalAid to obtain one. I can only assume at this point that it is because her Centrelink payment is being affected in some way if she is not collecting child support.

THis is complex, I hope my info helps. It might be a good idea to speak to a solicitor. But as a punter on a forum, I am pretty confident on this one that my advice is pretty good

Thank you very much for your reply. We plan on speaking to a solicitor; we've actually got one that has copies of all prior contact so perhaps it is time to engage him again.

It is entirely possible he is the father, but she has refused all prior attempts to settle the matter with a test. After years of being abused and stuffed around, he stopped trying to settle it. It has now come back in the form of a LegalAid letter threatening court if a test isn't done. Her child support application has already been refused, which is why we are so confused that this stuff keeps going and going. According to the LegalAid website, she had 56 days to appeal and didn't - that time limit passed months ago yet she is now keeping it going through LegalAid.

A positive test will mean we pay child support (which hopefully won't be backdated) but her track record is refusing completely, or agreeing then changing her mind, or making unreasonable requests in exchange for a test (i.e. I want money and then you can do it). Perhaps her going through LegalAid will mean she stops with this rubbish, but my main concern is the impact she will have if she continues to be in our life. He has never met the child, has no relationship with the child and the mother has made an amicable situation impossible. If he is the biological father, we just want to pay whatever the legal requirement is and never hear from her again.

In practical terms CSA could make a presumption of parentage decision and then invite the alleged father to dispute it. The point being: they've already made the decision and are asking for reasons why they shouldn't maintain it. That's a different proposition to having to prove the situation before making the decision.

Thank you for your post. CSA have already refused the application, she has missed the 56-day appeal window by months but now we're dragged into it again.

Thank you all for your advice. I guess we'll see if she will actually go through with a test now LegalAid is involved. We will seek legal advice on the best way to move forward with the least contact and psychological impact on my husband.

CSFLW

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
24 September 2018
Today, a LegalAid letter is received asking my husband to agree to a paternity test, or he "may" be taken to court.

Without seeing the letter, the mother may be able to make an application to court to get a paternity.

Is the father agreeable to the test?

If you can send us the letter [email protected] we can give you some preliminary advice (no charge).