NSW Land Tax Surcharge for Foreigners - Any Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


25 April 2019
Is land tax surcharge for foreigners? My property is under my name (citizen) and my partner (bridging visa). I received a letter from NSW service that my partner have to pay land tax.

I am the first home loan owner then my partner. My partner has left the country for good over 2 years ago. Every repayment mortgage is coming from my bank. Now it is the time I wanted to sell my property.

What is the legal opinion I can get in selling the property without his presence in Australia? Will it be easy to get through? How can I delete my partner's name in the paper or avoid the land tax surcharge? Realistically he doesn’t live in Australia anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.