QLD Restrictions for Being a Managing Director - Australian Citizenship?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marika

17 June 2015
Hi, I have a question in regards to being a Managing Director in a company. I was granted a Partner Visa a few months ago. I ordinarily reside in Australia, have Tax File Number (TFN), ABN but I am not an Australian citizen yet. Can I be the only Director in an Australian Company? That AU company was set up by a foreign company. ASIC states that the company need to have at least one director who "ordinarily reside" in Australia. Does it mean that the Director has to be an Australian citizen?

Thank you for a reply.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Ordinarily reside has a plain meaning, i.e. to usually live in Australia. It doesn't stipulate citizenship.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Marika,

The requirement ASIC states (1 director who ordinarily resides in Australia) is a requirement under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (section 201A(1) for proprietary companies).

Someone who "ordinarily resides" in Australia does not need to have Australian citizenship. But it does mean that:
  • Your home country is Australia, and
  • You leave Australia only temporarily. I assume this means up to 6 months out of every income year (and no more) as this would qualify you for non-resident status.
This definition can be found under section 3 of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 (Cth) as well as with the ATO for tax purposes. Both definitions are fairly consistent with one another.