NSW Jewish Not For Profit Travel Expenses - Right to Request Statements?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Frank Selch

4 January 2015
About 11 years ago, I started a not for profit organisation to deal with issues concerning antisemitism and terrorism in Israel. The objective was to educate Christians concerning the Jewish roots of Christianity and associated issues. In connection with this, I also financed and self-published several books, which I released through the medium of our organisation as I am an aged pensioner and my pension would have suffered as a consequence. About five years ago, a person began to make monthly donations in the name of an American friend (now deceased) to assist me in the production of another book, which entailed travel to and time spent in Israel. The last donation was a little over three years ago. Chiefly for health reasons, it has taken longer than anticipated to finalise the work of close to 900 pages and suddenly this donor is asking for detailed expense statements of the monies donated. The money was given to the Organisation, which ceased to operate two years ago, without any written conditions, etc.

What rights does this person have under Australian law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
None, assuming you never mentioned any conditions when requesting donations and assuming the donation was given without conditions.

Of course you need to consider whether or not you want any more donations from this source.

S

Sophea

What happened to the monies in the organisation when it stopped operating? Were the formal processes for winding up a not for profit organisation, adhered to?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
To whom were these donations made - to you personally, or the organisation?

The last donation was a little over three years ago. Chiefly for health reasons, it has taken longer than anticipated to finalise the work of close to 900 pages and suddenly this donor is asking for detailed expense statements of the moneys donated. The money was given to the Organisation, which ceased to operate two years ago, without any written conditions, etc.

What rights does this person have under Australian law?
Against you personally?
Probably not much.
It depends in part upon who the recipient was - you personally, or the organisation.
It may also depend in part on whether or not the donations were in some way conditional,
such as, say, completing the book by a certain date.