QLD is telling my feelings and the truth defamation?

Discussion in 'Defamation Law Forum' started by John Nicholson, 31 October 2018.

Tags:
  1. John Nicholson

A builder I engaged has committed breaches of the QBCC guidelines and has been fined. His work has caused on going problems. I'm not a happy customer. I've displayed a sign in my car window " D@#$ of B@#$ built my R@#$ shed and I'm sorry they did" with my name and phone number on it for people to contact me, which some have done. Quite a few photos of that sign have been taken as I have travelled through Queensland. I have also posted on F/B comments about the faults only stating what is proveable eg: the roof leaks when it rains, workmanship done contrary to the manufacturer's instruction manual, his being fined by the QBCC, and others. I question whether this is defamation as stated in the cease and desist letter from his solicitor. Thanks

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified

Probably isn't defamation as truth and opinion is a defence to defamation.

However you have the onus of proving your defence. Even if you win, there's a high chance you don't get all your legal fees back. And defamation is not a DIY situation.

Suspect it might be time to say enough is enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John Nicholson

Thankyou