VIC Is Finding Money and Keeping It Same as Theft?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chaned888

21 June 2018
DM Legal,

Thank you very much for your help.

Yup. It was on the floor of p room. One of their staff dropped it

I guess it would not have been such a big deal if it was a patron who dropped it. They obviously had to go through cctv tracking it down.

Other than the fact that it was cash that I picked up from the floor my year long exclusion based on "chip theft" is really stretching my deed to fit the charge. It's not chips and I did certainly did not steal unless it can be legally defined as theft in the Crimes Act.

Best regards

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You have not told us whether or not you
made any genuine effort to find out whose it was.
Indeed, you have told us that you know it was either
Crown's property, or the personal property of an employee of Crown.

On that basis, you may care to consider the alternative...
that you could have been (perhaps even could yet be) prosecuted for
something in the range of offences usually called (for short)
"steal by finding".

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
What they put on the letter to ban you means nothing.

You're banned. End of story. Ask them to review it if you want but ultimately it's irrelevant whether they put chip or cash.

If you've been charged by the Police then it becomes relevant but at this stage you have given no indication that you have been criminally charged.

Chaned888

21 June 2018
No effort at all on my part to return it to staff. Went straight into my pocket. Correspondence from Crown confirms action stops with the ban. Well, thank you one and all for the feedback. Just have to cop it sweet. I thought it was my lucky night.