QLD Is a Mention after multiple Interim Hearings a bad thing for my case? (family court)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tommo

30 May 2017
I am a little bit confused at the courts process here maybe someone here can clear this up for me.

I started an application for final parenting orders June 2022 due to the fact that my ex (mother of child) was leaving my child in the care of her defacto partner for multiple times a week to take meth (allegedly at the time). There was also ongoing domestic abuse from both of them within there household. They also share a son together who was also left in the defacto partners care. I believe the domestic violence was due to the strain of the children being left with him so that the mother could continue to leave and take drugs.

To try and keep a long story short we were doing 50/50 care before this time. Since the application was made there has been more then one interim hearing all ending with me having sole care for my son with only supervised visits for the mother. The most recent one for the most part of what i understood ended in a confirmation of guilt of taking drugs by the mother as she failed do the test set out by the registrar which i paid for (no excuse not to do it). So the Registrar has basically said I believe you're taking drugs, but i need you to still do a test at a later date to prove sobriety. The next test will be a confirmation of attempts to quit the drugs (in 4 months time).

So the next hearing is not until July but now I've noticed it's only an online mention, From what I understood in the interim hearing this time period was to allow the mother time to comply and get better, but i am starting to feel uneasy in the sense that if she does this plus sorts the domestic violence issue then poof thing will go back to 50/50 and my son is at risk again (because how do we know she won't re offend/she also has a history of domestic abuse and family history of domestic abuse). My goal is to have full custody of my son and responsibility with his mother to see him short periods of time after school/on weekend provided she does not to drugs/can provide a safe household. And if it even went to him spending nights there i would only feel comfortable with a weekend each fortnight maybe.

Also The next court date is just a mention (online) does this mean i am at risk of the case just ending if they are satisfied she is ok now? Or is the mention a pit stop before the final hearing to see how things are going with both parties? at that point it will be more then a year. I am wanting to get to the final bang of the hammer and this is how much each person has him and when.

I should also note that her newest excuse now is pushing onto her now ex partner, saying it's all his fault for what she has been doing. So the court room, child expert etc. seem to think that everything will go back to normal once he's out of the picture which i find extremely incorrect. she has more proof of his abuse to her then the other way around but i truly believe his actions are caused by her as i suffered the same when i was with her.

Thanks for reading and any help will be much appreciated.