VIC International relocation agreement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nugget76

21 February 2018
My ex and I have come to an agreement about me relocating with the children - we currently have a verbal agreement and very loose ideas about visitation (both here and in my home country). We would like to get something drawn up that protects both of us but isn’t legally binding. Consent orders seem too formal - what are our other options?
What kinds of things should we include? It’s been a difficult separation and he’s been absent a lot... but wants to do the right thing. We agree the kids live with me and he’s happy for us to go.

Would a parenting plan be sufficient?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yes it would. But I reckon it is dangerous territory... As the dad, I'd be worried once you go you could change your mind on the 'agreement'. You could also have reason for concern... Without a formal binding agreement he could chase you down for a recovery order. Sure he might not succeed but do you really need the stress?

You can write up your own consent orders and file them. That would only cost a few hundred $$$