VIC Interim Restraining Order - What Next?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Freedom

12 March 2015
I recently placed an IVO (restraining order) against someone who has continually harassed, bullied, threaten and in general scary aggressive behaviour towards myself and my son. We have a hearing date to finalise it but due to lack of funds can't get lawyer representation... What do I do and what needs to be done to guarantee our future safety from this person. We are in Victoria.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Freedom,

Have you contacted your local Legal Aid, Community Legal Centre or Women's Legal Centre?

Freedom

12 March 2015
Yeah they said just ask for legal aid on the day but I want more help then that I have panic attacks depression and bipolar amd not exactly comfortable with what I'm going through hence putting the ISO out. I was wondering if there is anything I can do or should do to help me prepare better and get everything organised

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi again,

Are you living in or close to a large town or city?
Because you are welcome to contact a legal aid or women's legal centre before your hearing, not just on the day. They can help give you advice on how to prepare.

Additionally, there should be domestic violence support services in your local region. If you are unsure who to talk to, you can call a hotline such as 1800RESPECT or you can go into your local police station and ask for information about domestic violence support in your area. Or you can ask someone in the women's legal centre/ Legal Aid. These support services are not so much for legal advice as helping you emotionally.

I hope this info helps.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
And you can always go and represent yourself.

Court can be scary but if you just tell your story you will be OK. Recommend taking a friend along for moral support. And make sure that if you have any witnesses, take them along as well.

Also, if you have the time, just go and sit at the back of a courtroom and listen to other cases being run. Some courts have a special room/magistrate that only deals with AVOs.

Reactions: Freedom