QLD Restraining Order Against Me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Margaret Egan

31 December 2018
I would like to know if a restraining order can be placed on me. My brother came to my place the other day, and we had an argument. I was not abusive nor did I engage in threatening behaviour. After he went home, I tried to ring him to state why I said what I said. I rang several times before he answered the phone. He said that if I tried to ring him again, he would put a restraining order on me. I then tried to ring him again, the phone rang, three times before he answered it. He said that he was now going put a restraining order on me. None of my conversations on the phone to him were abusive or threatening.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
It all depends on what he says and if his version of events is believed. So "can" a restraining order be issued in these circumstances, the answer would be yes. Will it be? Well that's anyones guess.

With that said, don't worry too much for now. You are family, so there's always a chance that things will settle down on their own. If not, then worry about it when something happens. For now, don't call and give him time to calm down.

In the mean time, enjoy your new year celebrations and don't stress - it's a finicky time of year for everyone.