TAS How to go about ending small buisness partnership with significant other

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Reggie

23 May 2015
my defacto husband started a buisness over a decade ago, and registered me as a partner ( his reasoning was it was better tax wise to have a partnership than to be a sole trader). There is no partnership agreement and I no longer wish to be a partner in the buisness as I am trying to gain financial independence and have no longer any involvement with any of the business' running or decision-making process. How do I go about having my name removed from the partnership?
Thank you for your time

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Give formal written notice and state the effective date.

There may be other requirements or consequences so you should talk to a local Tassie lawyer about your situation, discussing topics such as type of registered partnership, liabilities, guarantees, loans, etc.

Sometimes the process is easy and straightforward, other times not....

angelawalshes

6 July 2023
Hello,

To end your small business partnership with your defacto husband, you should discuss your intention with him and express your desire to be removed as a partner. It would be ideal to consult with a legal professional to understand the legal and financial implications of ending the partnership. They can guide you through the necessary steps, which may include drafting a partnership dissolution agreement or updating the business registration documents to reflect the change. Seeking legal advice will help ensure a smooth and fair process.