NSW How to Ensure Chain of Custody Urine Test Results Aren't Fake?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rachelle Simpson

26 July 2014
My ex partner does chain of custody urine tests. Randomly each month I send a message to him and he then goes to his GP to get the pathology form to do the test. When I get the results how can I be sure this is a actual result and not something he has typed. Can I check through the pathology or some other way to ensure there real?

Thank you for any help in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have you tried contacting the GP and or the Pathology company?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Basically...

No.

Your ex has a right to privacy and confidentiality when it comes to medical matters, and his doctor would be breaching an awful lot of laws if he were to disclose information about your ex to you.

Reactions: Timnuts

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
If these are court ordered tests that the partner has been allowed to view, then knowing the results are genuine seems like a reasonable request, especially as the request is only to confirm results have come from the place they are purported to come from and not the actual result itself.

There are no privacy issues if the results are court ordered to be sent to the OP.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
As I understand it, the 'chain of custody' element here is the protecting factor against false reports, isn't it? Is a pathologist conducting drug tests for chain of custody not required to follow a chain-of-custody procedure and fill out a form that makes the results available to the court?

Rachelle Simpson

26 July 2014
I don't think the court are sent a copy of the test as it was a final order so unless I become aware that the order may be broken and then contact legal representation to take things back before a court again to bring it to attention it is not something the court would be aware of. That is why I'm wanting to confirm that what I am given is actually valid. There appears to be nothing in place monitoring things are followed other than myself.
So if the court has order the other person be supplied with a copy of results are you saying the privacy act is not

Rachelle Simpson

26 July 2014
Sorry to continue finishing above post..
The privacy act is not stopping me from being able to confirm the results either from doctor or pathology if the court orders the other person be supplied with results?
As far as I know when doing a chain of custody test at pathology there isn't a form or area signed that would mean they are given copies of the test but I would think it would be available to them should it be requested. So unless I am aware something is not correct and take it to court again they are not going to request it.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
The privacy act is not stopping me from being able to confirm the results either from doctor or pathology if the court orders the other person be supplied with results?

No, and I assume that the other party has also consented to this order in court.

Rachelle Simpson

26 July 2014
I assumed if other party must supply results to me and not the actual doctor forward them to me this was due to a privacy reason. Wouldnt the court just have the doctor then give result direct to me so it was somewhat monitored by a professional if possible?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Were the drug tests ordered by consent or by the court?